TAYLORSVILLE — The Ashe County Huskies traveled down to Taylorsville on Friday, Oct. 1 to square off against the Alexander Central Cougars, ultimately falling in overtime, 42-36.

The Huskies, now 1-4 this season, put up a great fight in their first conference game against the Cougars (4-2). The visitor’s stands saw an abundant turnout with Husky fans making their way down the mountain to support the team.

Ashe took advantage quickly in the first quarter as quarterback Wesley Thompson easily found running back Matthew Peterson within the first few minutes for the first touchdown of the night, Manuel Olvera booted in an extra point through the end zone to lead 7-0.

The Cougars answered back not long after, Luke Hammer tossed a touchdown pass and succeeded in a two-point conversion, as AC took the lead 8-7.

Husky Colin Estes then scored to put Ashe back on top, leading up for a five point lead against Alexander Central, but before the first quarter came to an end, the Cougars marched to another score to take the lead 16-13.

Heading into the second quarter, the Cougars increased their lead to 22-13 by halftime.

In the third quarter, the Huskies reasserted their dominance defensively, as Estes picked off the Cougars’ quarterback and regained possession for the Huskies. The ball was then picked off by Peterson in Husky territory and he made his way a number of yards down the field, stepping into Alexander Central’s half of the field. Estes, being the wildcard of the night, found his way to the end zone once again, bringing the Huskies to a two-point conversion situation and only to fall one point behind their competitors.

By the end of the third, the Cougars managed to pull off another touchdown, leading 28-21.

The final quarter had each side of the stands on their feet as the clock ticked down. A touchdown by Martinez crossing the goal line left Ashe trailing by a pair before a two-point conversion tied the game.

Alexander Central once again found the sweet glory of the end zone with half a quarter left. Ashe answered back quickly as Thompson passed to Martinez for another touchdown along with a successful two-point conversion. The game was then tied at 36-36.

Late in regulation, Ashe was the recipient of an Alexander Central fumble, but was unable to capitalize as the game entered overtime tied at 36 apiece.

The Cougars won the coin toss and took the first possession of OT, scoring a touchdown on its series. Ashe then had its opportunity to answer with a score of its own to force the continuation of the game, but an incomplete fourth-down pass sealed the Cougars win.

The Huskies will host the Homecoming game on Friday, Oct. 8 at 7:30 p.m. against Hibriten (3-2).

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.